Monday, September 2, 2013

The infamous leftover struggle....

Leftovers. A word I really despise. Well maybe not so much the word, but you get it. I am not a leftovers person. Something about food being reheated (especially in a microwave) truly just doesn't satisfy me. For as long as I can remember I always just made enough food to feed everyone for that one meal. It was all fine and dandy when I wasn't working and home all the time, but now working full time, taking care of two kids on my own and racking up side jobs like you wouldn't believe I really don't have the energy to cook like that.
Recently I have tried to create a compromise with myself. I have been trying to cook for the family for the entire week in one day. Yes, this means food is reheated BUT it also means that I can eat something different every night without cooking every single night. So far, its working but then again its only been week one. HA!
So now I have leftovers...I really can't just toss them and they're still good but I think we're all a little sick of the Roasted Butternut Squash Soup. What am I going to do with it all, it did make a bit much.
This is the recipe I used for my soup.Tasted delicious but was a bit thick for my soup likings.

This is the deliciousness that took place while making the soup
Roasted squash, apples, sage,garlic
The first recipe I wanted to make was a butternut squash biscuit. O M G these are great, kids gobbled them up straight out of the oven.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons cold butter cut into bits
1 cup leftover  roasted butternut squash soup (may be a little bit more, use enough to bring the dough together so you can work with it)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
I pulsed my dry ingredients in the food processor. You want your butter to be pea sized balls
Add your soup to the flour mixture. Pulse for a few seconds.  The dough should stick slightly to your hands.
I transferred my dough into a  bowl and used a scoop. I scooped about 12 biscuits onto prepared cookie pans.
Bake 7-9 minutes, or until the biscuits are nice and golden brown. These are best served warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment